SEN Local Offer - Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out what schools, social care and health should be providing for my child?

A new SEND code of practice will be published and this will set out how decisions should be made for children and young adults with SEND. This is statutory guidance and all schools, local authorities and health providers must have regard to it when providing for SEND children/young adults.

How accessible is our school?

Our school is situated on 2 sites, both of which can be accessed easily with a wheelchair.  Inside our school, classrooms have wheelchair access and we have a disabled toilet on both sites. Depending on the needs of our children we will adapt where we can .  

Please contact if you have any questions about accessibility.

What specialist services are available at your school to meet my child’s needs?

We work with an extensive range of services and professionals to ensure we meet the needs of each individual child. We encourage these professionals to visit school as often as possible to work with our staff and share their expertise. Wherever possible, staff implement programmes of work linked to these professionals e.g. speech and language programmes, exercises recommended by physical therapies etc.

What training do staff supporting children with SEND have?

Members of staff have Paediatric First Aid and Safeguarding Level 1 qualification. In addition, our support staff have a selection of training relating to Speech and Language  and  ADHD and autism. Each year the needs of children within our school are carefully considered and training organised to up-skill staff

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

We ensure that all children are offered the opportunity to participate with activities outside of the classroom by making reasonable adjustments to the organisation of these. For example, we ensure SEND children have an appropriate level of adult support if going out of school, we organise transport that provides appropriate access and staff complete a comprehensive risk assessment of any excursion to ensure all children are safe and included. In addition, our SEND children are given the opportunity to participate in visits to settings that meet their specific needs e.g. sensory play.

How will your school prepare my child for the transition to Secondary school?

Children with SEND are given an extensive level of support before they leave for a new school. Their teacher and the SENCO team will discuss with secondary colleagues how many transition visits can be arranged over and above those offered to children without SEND. These additional visits to the new school will be carried out with the child and Secondary School Staff in the summer term. This ensures that bridges are built between schools, key information shared between staff and the child is given the opportunity to settle into a new routine with the support of a familiar adult.  We also invite a transition worker into school from the spring term onwards to help prepare children for the change to secondary school.

How are parents involved with your school?

We are fully committed to encouraging parents to be involved with all aspects of school life. We welcome parents into school to meet with the teacher to discuss progress and provision. We invite parents to school performances,  sports events, coffee mornings, we also have training sessions during the year. They are also encouraged to help with our school events, such as the summer fair. We also have the friends of Stephenson Way who support the school with events and buying resources.

Who can I contact for further information?

Please contact the school to arrange an appointment to speak to Mr Jones and/or Mrs Layfield-Carroll if you have any further questions you would like to ask.